Ride-share companies are booming in business and popularity. The convenience of ride-shares prompts many of us to use this service, but are you putting your safety at risk when you do?
Ride-shares such as Lyft do get into accidents with passengers on board. If you’re in an accident with a Lyft vehicle — whether as a passenger or another driver on the road — there are things you can do to protect your rights.
How do Lyft car accidents commonly happen, and what is the process of recovering from your injuries?
There are many things that can cause a Lyft accident. The Lyft driver may be at fault, whether because they failed to obey a traffic signal or rule, drove recklessly, or were drowsy, distracted, or impaired while driving. Or, the accident may be a direct result of Lyft’s negligent supervision, training, or hiring of its driver—for example, by not making sure the driver was properly trained in the rules of the road before allowing them to take on passengers. Of course, a Lyft accident might also be caused by other drivers on the road.
An accident involving a Lyft will likely require you to file a claim for negligence. You will need to prove that the at-fault party — whether the driver, the company, or a third party — breached the duty of reasonable care on the road, causing your injuries.
Lyft accidents can be quite different from other car crashes. For starters, there are more parties involved: in many cases, if the Lyft driver was at fault, you may be able to file a claim against them as well as against the company. Of course, in many cases, Lyft will agree that it should not be held liable for the actions of its employees; however, you may have a claim against the company under the legal action of vicarious liability, which is a remedy you can use to hold the company responsible for the actions of its employee.
It is important to note that your claim might also involve multiple insurance companies, which means you will need to negotiate carefully. Connecting with a knowledgeable Lyft accident lawyer can help you navigate the complex process of negotiating with insurance companies. In many states, Lyft and other ride-share operators are mandated to maintain certain types and amounts of insurance in order to pay for damage caused by their employees.
What steps should you take following a Lyft accident in order to protect your rights?
If you’re involved in an accident while taking a lift, there are several steps you need to take, both in the long- and short-term. At the accident scene:
- Take down contact information for the Lyft driver, as well as any other involved parties and potential witnesses.
- Take pictures, if you are able, of the scene of the accident.
- Call the police
In the days that follow:
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Some injuries can take a long time to manifest, and others can become more problematic if you wait to be seen. It is imperative that you receive proper medical care right away.
- Document the accident by writing down, in your own words, a comprehensive account of what happened.
- Report the accident to Lyft, using the company’s forms provided online. However, share only the details that are necessary to make the report — do not discuss liability, the extent of your injuries, or other legal issues. Contact an experienced Lyft accident lawyer before you share details with Lyft, the insurance companies, or other parties involved.
In the weeks and months that follow:
- Work with your attorney to file your claim and begin negotiations with Lyft and the insurance company.
- Continue seeking any medical treatment you need.
- Keep meticulous copies of any documents, reports, correspondence, and invoices that help establish Lyft’s liability or your damages and injuries.
- Keep the lines of communication open with your attorney, and stay abreast of developments in your claim. Should settlement negotiations stall, work with your attorney to file a lawsuit in the appropriate court.
Although a car accident can be a physically and emotionally traumatic experience, it’s important to keep all of these details in mind in order to ensure you’re fairly compensated. That’s why securing legal representation is so important.
How can an attorney help you get the compensation you deserve from injuries sustained in a Lyft car accident?
Negotiating with a large company like Lyft and its insurance providers can be a daunting and complex process. After all, big companies like Lyft have numerous legal and financial resources at their disposal, and their aim in a lawsuit is to avoid liability and minimize the payout of damages.
At FVF, our aim is to educate you on your rights and options following an accident. When that accident involves a Lyft employee or the company, we aim to help you navigate the complicated process of filing a claim. An experienced and knowledgeable Lyft accident lawyer can help negotiate on your behalf and work with you to recover your damages. Contact our personal injury attorneys for a free consultation about your case.