The shoulders and hips are very flexible joints that allow us to rotate our arms and legs in different directions. Because of this, they are also very susceptible to injury. One of those injuries is a torn labrum or labral tear.
The labrum is a band of cartilage that surrounds the ball socket joint of the hip or shoulder ball socket. Its job is to stabilize the hip and shoulder bones and keep them in place. Many labral tears heal with a combination of rest, physical therapy, and pain and anti-inflammatory medications. However, in some cases, a torn labrum may require more significant therapies, such as surgery.
Regardless of what kind of therapy program your doctor recommends, a torn labrum may have a major impact on your life. It usually takes two months (or longer, if surgery is required) to heal from these kinds of injuries. In the meantime, you may find it difficult to work, drive, or even perform basic tasks, particularly if the tear is in your dominant arm.
Lost income from missed work and medical costs to treat the injury can add up quickly, which can put a strain on your finances. However, if your torn labrum injury resulted from a car crash or other accident, and the incident was not your fault, you may be eligible for compensation for these expenses and losses through a lawsuit.
The process of filing a lawsuit and negotiating for fair compensation is often very difficult without a clear understanding of what that entails. Here are some things to consider as you weigh your legal options and how you can increase your chances of receiving compensation for your injury.
Damages in a Torn Labrum Injury Case
How much and what kind of compensation you can claim in a lawsuit depends on the circumstances of your case. In general, though, if you were hurt in an accident due to no fault of your own, you should be able to claim costs and losses associated with your injury, such as:
- Medical costs. The cost to diagnose and treat your labral tear is one category of damages you may be able to recover in a personal injury case. Depending on how badly you are hurt, medical expenses may total thousands of dollars, especially if you need surgery. These costs are something a lawyer can help you document.
- Lost income/earning potential. A shoulder or hip injury can make it difficult or even impossible to work, especially if you have a job that requires you to be on your feet or lift heavy objects. Missed wages can often be claimed in a torn labrum injury case. Additionally, if your injury has a permanent effect on your ability to earn a living, you may be able to seek compensation for future lost income as well.
- Household expenses. Because a torn labrum can limit your movement and range of motion, it may be difficult to manage basic household tasks. If you need to hire someone to help you, you may be able to claim these expenses in your case.
- Physical pain and impairment. Shoulder injuries can result in long-term limitations on your physical capabilities. This includes restrictions on your ability to handle daily affairs or engage in the hobbies you enjoy. The law allows you to recover financial compensation for short- and long-term physical impairment and the pain that can come with serious shoulder injuries, and it is important to understand how to adequately prove these losses.
What Factors Can Affect Your Torn Labrum Injury Case?
Every injury case is different, so it’s difficult to say for certain how long your case will last or assign a specific value to it. However, there are some things to consider when evaluating your case, including:
- How badly you are injured. A more severe labral tear is going to require more care and time to heal, and consequently more compensation. This can also extend the timeline of your case, since it’s usually more difficult to get liable parties to agree to a higher settlement.
- Whether you are partially responsible for your accident. In some cases, it’s very clear who is liable for an accident. However, in others, the person responsible may not be as easy to pinpoint. This is especially true in car accident injury cases, where both parties may be partially to blame for a crash. If there is a question of liability in your accident, or if you share some responsibility, it will limit the amount of compensation you can claim. Additionally, you will need to work harder to prove that you are not fully responsible for your injuries.
- If your case goes to trial. If your lawyer is unable to negotiate a fair settlement outside of court, they may decide to bring your case to trial. When that happens, it can take much longer for your case to be resolved.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Torn Labrum Injury Case
When deciding how to pursue an accident injury case, it’s usually best to consult with a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. A lawyer can answer questions you may have about your legal options and what actions you should take next in your case. Specifically, here are some of the benefits of consulting with a torn labrum injury lawyer.
- Providing expertise. An experienced case lawyer will bring knowledge about your rights under the law and your likelihood of obtaining compensation in your case, as well as what you can do to protect your rights.
- Reducing the amount of work you need to do. Recovering from a serious injury like a torn labrum can be mentally and physically draining. Lawyers help by assuming the work of managing your case, including gathering information, communicating with insurance and other parties, filing documents, and, of course, negotiating on your behalf.
- Increasing your likelihood of obtaining compensation. Claimants who hire lawyers are statistically much more likely to recover compensation in their injury cases.
Why Hire FVF to Help with Your Torn Labrum Injury Case?
While hiring a lawyer can help your case, an untrustworthy lawyer can do more harm than good. The best injury attorneys are ethical and focused on providing support and sharing their knowledge with clients. At FVF, we have worked diligently to ensure not only that our clients get the best legal representation possible but that they are treated with compassion and integrity as well. Here are some of the benefits we bring to our clients.
- Years of experience. Our Austin accident injury lawyers have decades of experience working for clients to get them a fair settlement. We can put our knowledge to work in your case.
- Outstanding case results. Our case record includes sizable recoveries in difficult cases against insurance providers, commercial vehicle carriers, and negligent drivers.
- Education-first focus. When we consult with an injury victim, we don’t just see dollar signs. We know that you may be confused and dealing with pain and distress after an accident. That’s why we focus first and foremost on helping you understand your rights and options in a personal injury case — so you can feel like you have a trusted ally in your corner to whom you can come for legal advice.
- No-cost case consultation. We understand that hiring a lawyer is a big decision. We offer a free case evaluation so you can learn all about your options before you decide whether or not to engage our services.
If you were harmed in a car crash or other accident, you deserve to understand your legal rights and options. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our experts and learn how best to move forward with your torn labrum injury case.