Charter buses such as Megabus are a convenient and affordable way to travel between cities. However, those cheap bus fares may come at a price of compromised safety, resulting in potentially dangerous consequences for passengers and those who share the road.
From a lack of maintenance to exhausted drivers and the use of subpar equipment, it comes as no surprise that bus accidents, although rare, can be extremely dangerous when they do occur. In fact, Megabus alone was involved in 16 accidents between 2012 and 2014, which resulted in two deaths.
Moving forward after experiencing a Megabus accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating. If you’ve been a victim of a Megabus crash, contacting an experienced injury attorney should be your first priority to protect your rights and seek the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Megabus Accidents
As with any auto collision, bus accidents can be triggered by numerous causes. Poor weather conditions or dangerous roadways make it a challenge to drive any vehicle safely. However, there also may be other factors at play, such as defective equipment or a fatigued driver who causes an accident. Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Improperly maintained buses. If buses are poorly maintained or not routinely inspected for safety concerns, there is an increased risk that critical components of the bus will fail, causing the driver to lose control of the bus or to be unable to avoid a collision.
- Defective equipment. If a defective component of the bus causes an accident, it’s the responsibility of the bus company and the manufacturer to provide compensation to any injured passengers.
- Fatigued or distracted bus drivers. Despite federal laws that regulate the length of shifts and rest required for the safe operation of commercial vehicles, some bus drivers are forced to work longer shifts than necessary. Whether due to lack of sleep, driving too many hours without rest, or pressure to complete trips on time, driver fatigue is all too common — and it can contribute to an increased risk for accidents. If a bus company is found to be ignoring federal regulations, they may be held responsible for your injuries.
- Drivers under the influence. A driver who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol presents a clear danger to all passengers. If there’s evidence that a driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs in your collision, an accident lawyer can help manage the complex process of a criminal and civil trial and/or settlement.
Bus Accident Injuries
When a bus accident occurs, potential victims may include the bus driver and passengers on the bus, as well as pedestrians and other drivers on the road. Victims of Megabus accidents can find themselves struggling with injuries such as:
- Head and brain injuries
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Broken bones, sprains, and strains
- Internal injuries
- Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions
Why You Need a Lawyer After a Megabus Accident
Unfortunately, without the help of a lawyer, victims of bus accidents aren’t prepared to deal with the complex chain of events that will begin immediately after an accident. Bus companies will go to great lengths and spend an exceptional amount of money to protect themselves against a lawsuit. They will do their best to offer you a settlement that is much lower than what you rightfully deserve or even deny liability altogether.
What’s more, liability in a bus accident may extend beyond the bus driver or owner to include maintenance companies, manufacturers of buses and bus parts, and other drivers and their employers.
That is why a skilled bus accident attorney who has experience with this type of case is your most vital ally. These legal professionals have the knowledge and resources to sort out any issues of liability, build a convincing case, and ensure that your rights are protected so that you get the full compensation you deserve. A personal injury lawyer can offer advice about potential strategies, negotiate a settlement on your behalf, or file a lawsuit if necessary.
What Kinds of Damages Can Be Recovered After a Bus Accident?
A serious bus collision can result in debilitating damages and injuries with lasting effects. After a Megabus crash, victims may find themselves facing lengthy recovery times, extreme medical costs, psychological distress, and loss of motor function or ability to work.
No matter how complex your case, an experienced personal injury lawyer will defend you entirely. This includes helping recover losses that are difficult to calculate — such as decreased quality of life or emotional trauma. A Megabus accident lawyer will protect your rights by seeking settlement amounts for whichever of the following apply to your case:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Impairment of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Emotional distress
A Supportive Legal Team in Your Corner When You Need It Most
An accident involving a commercial vehicle creates a complicated case, but you still deserve to clearly understand your rights and receive the fair compensation you are owed. If you or a family member was seriously injured in a Megabus accident, our personal injury law firm is here to help. FVF has handled hundreds of traffic accident cases of all types, including catastrophic traffic accidents with multimillion dollar settlements.
Our team has more than 70 years of combined experience fighting tirelessly for the needs of our clients. Contact us today for a free, no-pressure consultation. If you choose to hire us, we’ll advocate for your legal rights and help alleviate the financial stress of your accident so that you can focus on getting your life back on track.